“Let us plant trees that bear positive fruits And nourish our youth with compassionate truth That enlighten the mind to the deepest of roots, all the way to the core where the soul can stay true Where I can walk free with a joint in my hand And I can plant plants right upon my land Help em’ understand these are nature’s laws My creator had visions in the things he saw”✌️💚✨
Until recently, lullabies were hardly a crucial part of my son’s nightly bedtime routine. I’m not exactly the most “structured ” mom around (how could I call myself a gonzo momma if I was?!), so he’s never had an EXACT bedtime with an EXACT night after night ritual. But cuddling with me is an absolute MUST, for him and for me. And on a few of the more challenging nights we’ve had since he’s hit his toddler stage in stride, I’ve opted to softly singing a song or two, which is met with my precious boy nuzzling into me and smiling as he drifts off to dreamland. It’s honestly incredibly beautiful and calming for me to be a part of.
But at no point did the familiar ‘Hush Little Baby‘ or ‘Hushabye Mountain‘ ever pop into my head. Honestly, I probably couldn’t even tell you 1/4 of the lyrics. But there’s plenty of songs that we find just perfect for our bedtime compilation, most of which I originally chose because of their soothing affect on me and my restless mind.
So in case you’re a gonzo momma too, or maybe just enjoy to put your own spin on this whole parenting thing, I thought I’d share a few of our favorites. Enjoy and sweet dreams!
1. Incubus- “Aqueous Transmission” (our HANDS DOWN favorite! It is so beautiful that I have trouble explaining why, really.)
2. 311 “Amber”
3. Van Morrison “Through the Mystic”
4. Buffalo Springfield “For What its Worth”
5. Slightly Stoopid “2 AM”, “Mellow Mood”, “Wiseman”
6. Jefferson Airplane “White Rabbit”
7. America “Ventura Highway”
8. The Wallflowers “One Headlight”, “Heroes”
9. The Beatles “All my Life”, “Across the Universe”, “Strawberry Fields”
10. Bob Marley “Is This Love”, “Three Little Birds”
11. Led Zeppelin “Thank You”
12. Modest Mouse “Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset”, “Fire it Up”
13. Red Hot Chili Peppers “Hard to Concentrate”, “Otherside”, “Snow (Hey Oh!)
14. Dave Matthews Band “Crush”, “Crash Into Me”, “Where Are You Going”
And with those few examples, I hope you all find yourself happy on this peaceful night!
The musical genre of Rap/HipHop has always been a big part of my life. It’s the one style I’ve never NOT listened to; I have many fond memories of my small 13 year old self blasting Jay-Z and Nelly in my room after school, knowing every single word, regardless of my white skin or my house in the suburbs. The words of so many MCs have had such great impact on me, so I loved seeing these fantastic words from the mind of the legendary Biggie Smalls spoken in the ‘language of love’.
May your awesome lyrical gifts continue to inspire so many for decades more to come, Big Poppa…