Until recently, lullabies were hardly a crucial part of my son’s nightly bedtime routine. I’m not exactly the most “structured ” mom around (how could I call myself a gonzo momma if I was?!), so he’s never had an EXACT bedtime with an EXACT night after night ritual. But cuddling with me is an absolute MUST, for him and for me. And on a few of the more challenging nights we’ve had since he’s hit his toddler stage in stride, I’ve opted to softly singing a song or two, which is met with my precious boy nuzzling into me and smiling as he drifts off to dreamland. It’s honestly incredibly beautiful and calming for me to be a part of.
But at no point did the familiar ‘Hush Little Baby‘ or ‘Hushabye Mountain‘ ever pop into my head. Honestly, I probably couldn’t even tell you 1/4 of the lyrics. But there’s plenty of songs that we find just perfect for our bedtime compilation, most of which I originally chose because of their soothing affect on me and my restless mind.
So in case you’re a gonzo momma too, or maybe just enjoy to put your own spin on this whole parenting thing, I thought I’d share a few of our favorites. Enjoy and sweet dreams!
1. Incubus- “Aqueous Transmission” (our HANDS DOWN favorite! It is so beautiful that I have trouble explaining why, really.)
2. 311 “Amber”
3. Van Morrison “Through the Mystic”
4. Buffalo Springfield “For What its Worth”
5. Slightly Stoopid “2 AM”, “Mellow Mood”, “Wiseman”
6. Jefferson Airplane “White Rabbit”
7. America “Ventura Highway”
8. The Wallflowers “One Headlight”, “Heroes”
9. The Beatles “All my Life”, “Across the Universe”, “Strawberry Fields”
10. Bob Marley “Is This Love”, “Three Little Birds”
11. Led Zeppelin “Thank You”
12. Modest Mouse “Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset”, “Fire it Up”
13. Red Hot Chili Peppers “Hard to Concentrate”, “Otherside”, “Snow (Hey Oh!)
14. Dave Matthews Band “Crush”, “Crash Into Me”, “Where Are You Going”
And with those few examples, I hope you all find yourself happy on this peaceful night!